Total Pageviews

Friday 18 February 2011

Black Swan - Directed by Darren Aronofsky and starring Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Vincent Cassel.


I left the cinema in a daze after having watched the dark twists and turns of the Black Swan unfold before me. Confused is the word I would use. Nina (Portman), a dancer at a New York ballet company had finally got her dream role as Swan Queen. However, her obsession with being ‘perfect’ as both the white and black swan leads to her downfall. I found it difficult to separate Nina’s hallucinations with what was actually happening, which I guess is the whole point. Yet, I found it more annoying than psychologically thrilling. Deeply threatened by Lily (Kunis), who dances the black swan flawlessly, Nina hallucinates a sexual encounter with her which was, I felt, gratuitous. The sexual undercurrents throughout the film add little to the plot. Nevertheless, the film had me hooked with the beauty and skill of the dancers. The film was visually mesmerising, one for the ballet buffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment